“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world”
- Anne Frank
As an organization, Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes simply could not do the daily work we do without volunteers. Over 450 volunteers a week hold positions that get food to hungry people in our community. Each month, KLF holds a volunteer orientation that gives a historic perspective of the organization and its place in the community, as well as an overview of volunteer positions that are currently available. Positions range from clerical duties to warehouse stocking to direct client support. Any skill or special interest you have can be put to good use.
To see when our next volunteer orientation is, take a look at our event calendar.
If you are interested in volunteering, please call Cherise Buchanan at 488-2617 ext. 209 for details and to reserve your spot.
***********Current Open Volunteer Positions*************
- Call-Center Volunteer -Volunteers needed to answer phones and register clients for our Grocery Pantry Program. Shifts are weekdays from 9 am-11 am and 11 am-1 pm. Training is provided.
- Food Assistance Outreach Program Volunteer -Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes’ FAOP helps local residents find out if they’re eligible to receive food assistance benefits and aids them in registering. Hours vary. Training is provided.
- Grocery Pantry Program: We are currently looking for volunteers to assist in our grocery pantry program. Groups needed.
- Repackaging Team Member -Help repackage bulk pasta and other food items into individual-sized portions in the KLF clean room. Duties include making and labeling bags, portioning and sealing bags, and packing boxes. Shifts are available once per week, for three hours each, Monday-Thursday from 9 am-noon and noon-3 pm. An initial commitment of at least two months is requested.
- Receptionist -You are the eyes and ears of the organization and the first encounter guests have when they arrive at Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes. Weekday shifts available from 8-noon and noon-4.
- Special Events Team Member -Join our ‘Party Planning Committee’ and help us plan amazing community events that raise hunger awareness. Duties may include attending events as a KLF representative, answering questions about our programs, handling monetary and food donations, help with publicity planning, and more.
- Warehouse Greeter -Warehouse greeters are stationed at the warehouse door and are responsible for greeting visitors and donors, weighing and recording food donations and various other tasks. The warehouse greeter position requires one set four hour shift each week.
If you’re interested in any of the above volunteer positions, or have a general question about volunteering, please contact Cherise Buchanan, volunteer coordinator, at 488-2617 ext. 209 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
KLF Handbook of Volunteer Policies
In order to ensure that all volunteers are informed of the agency policies that provide overall direction to volunteering, both on and off site, the KLF Handbook of Volunteer Policies was compiled and approved in February 2013. Over the spring and summer, each active volunteer is being asked to read the handbook, sign the Signature of Receipt and return it to KLF Volunteer Coordinator, Cherise Buchanan. Hard copies of the Volunteer Handbook are available at the KLF office at 901 Portage St.
You can view, download and print the handbook digitally by clicking KLF Volunteer Handbook .