Community Advocacy Events
- The Good Food Roundtable: Tuesday, February 11, 11:45am-1 pm—Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes Portage Street office. Good Food Kalamazoo, a coalition of food and hunger organizations, is hosting the Good Food Roundtable on at Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes (901 Portage Street). The Roundtable will bring a diverse group of community members together to discuss ways to empower the Kalamazoo community to provide itself with food that is healthy, green, fair, and affordable. This event is free and open to the public.
- Reading Together: Multiple events from February-April—What if the entire community read the same book at the same time? This year, the annual Kalamazoo Public Library event features two different titles written by two different authors. The theme, in a word, is FOOD.
- Kalamazoo Nature Center: Vibrant Vegetable Gardens: Wednesday, February 12 and 26, 6pm-7:30pm – Kalamazoo Nature Center (7000 N. Westnedge, Kalamazoo). Learn the secrets to growing healthy soil. After this session you should be able to turn any type of soil into the base for a vibrant, healthy and productive vegetable garden.DeLano Farms CSA 2014 Shares Now Available! When you buy a share in
- DeLano Farms Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), you invest now and reap the benefits of a season’s worth of fresh, locally-grown produce from June to October. Convenient online payment plan available through February 28. Visit DeLano Farms to learn more, or Buy Your Share
- Earth Day 5K Trail Run and 1K Run for Kids, Saturday, April 26, 9 am – 5 pm 1K Kids’ Run at 9 am / Earth Day 5K at 10 am ; FREE admission day at KNC with Earth Day celebration activities all day long!Earth Day 5K – This fun and challenging run/walk will feature some of KNC’s most beautiful trails. Earth Day 5K registration is $25. Registrations received by April 1 include a long-sleeved technical shirt. 1K Kids’ Run is a stroller- and wagon-friendly 0.6 mile walk/run around the Habitat Haven Trail for ages 8 & under. The 1K Kids’ Run registration is $10. Registrations received by April 1 include a short-sleeved cotton t-shirt. Proceeds from this year’s runs will support Nature’s Way Preschool.
Learn how to prepare and enjoy many nutritious and budget-friendly foods by attending a cooking class (click name of provider for more information):
- Bronson Athletic Club
- Food Dance
- Healthy Babies Healthy Start
- Kalamazoo Public Schools
- People’s Food Co-op
- MSU Extension
Do you know of an upcoming advocacy event? Help us keep this calendar current by emailing email@example.com