Q: How can I get food from Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes?
A: Call our Need Food line at 343-FOOD (3663) Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., to schedule an appointment at a pantry site.
Q: How often can I receive food?
A: Every 30 days, unless you have a referral.
Q: Are there any eligibility requirements to receive food?
A: No. Anyone in Kalamazoo County can receive food every 30 days by calling our Need Food line. There is no paperwork for you to fill out and no income requirements. Whoever picks up the food just needs to show a valid piece of identification.
Q: How many pantry sites are in the Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes’ network?
A: There are 25 pantry sites.
Q: What kind of food will I receive at a pantry?
A: You will choose your own food items based on the USDA nutrition guidelines to ensure a balanced variety. The amount of food you receive is based on the number of people in your household.
Q: Are there other ways to get food than just at a pantry site?
A: Yes. Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes distributes food through five key programs:
1. Grocery Pantry Program: this is where you call our Need Food line and visit a pantry site to “shop” for grocery items once every 30 days. This is Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes’ largest program, serving over 100,000 people in 2011.
2. Weekend Food Pack Program: targeted towards area schoolchildren, this program hands out food packs to help get kids through the weekend. Parents sign their child up at participating schools.
3. Agency Support Programs: Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes supplies food to local meal programs, such as the YWCA Domestic Assault Shelter and Ministry with Community.
4. Commodity Supplemental Food Program: this federally-funded program provides food to low-income seniors and WIC eligible women who are not receiving benefits. Registration is required through Senior Services, Inc.
5. Mobile Food Initiative: Fresh foods and other items are distributed on a first come first served basis several times a month at various locations.
Q: How can I help Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes feed more hungry people?
A: Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes is always accepting donations in food, funds, and time. You can help us by donating online, dropping food off at our warehouse, or volunteering. Sign up to receive our newsletter to stay informed on local hunger issues. Most importantly, spread the word that hunger is increasing in our community and we need to work together to stop it.